Thursday, February 7, 2008

::Malinda's Reflection::

At the end of the whole trail, we were all extremely tired, especially so for the 3 members of our groups who had to rush back to school for classes after the whole thing. But, nonetheless, the whole trail had been fulfilling and meaningful because I never knew the real story behind those architectures we have visited. And given the opportunity to find out more about those architectures, further deepen my understanding, as well as appreciation of Singapore even more.

To me, I believe that those buildings and architectures was built for a greater meaning besides memorial purposes, and I think that they were erected in a place like Singapore was so that to show others, despite our smallness in terms of country size, we do have a history, we do have roots to trace back to. Hence, this then provides not only the foreigners, who are ignorant of our cultures or heritage, but also the locals, especially the younger generations, an understanding of Singapore’s past.

Lastly, I just want to say that the site which gave me the most lasting impression would be the Fort Canning Park, because it is a place which had many memories due to the fact that quite a few key events happened there, such as Japanese Occupation where the British held base at the Park. Not only that, the place also contained many memories of the dead whose names were left on the boundary walls of the Fort Canning Park. So to me, I thought that Fort Canning Park was a nice place and I really like it. (:

No comments: